Tuesday, December 11, 2012

My Rurouni Kenshin Weekend


Hello everyone! I hope everyone had a great weekend.

Here's a snap on how to describe my weekend:


The boyfriend and I watched the Rurouni Kenshin live action movie, which is a big deal especially do RRK DHFs (that's die-hard fan) like me.

To be honest, I enjoyed the movie. But could not help feeling that a huge sacrilege was done to the series.

The key word is: MASH UP.

I have no issues with the choice for casting, it WAS the director's call. But to actually merge characters from different arcs of the series:

- the Battousai impostor from the first 5 episodes
- Jin'eh
- Kanryuu's Opium den
- Saitou's appearance

I know that you shouldn't expect the movie to follow every last detail to the letter, but seriously. I really do not undestand why they had to take out Aoshi Shinomori's character which is a key element to the Kanryuu arc. No, I'm not saying this because I'm a massive Shinomori fan girl. The Kanryuu arc where Aoshi and Kenshin duels in the observatory where Megumi was held prisoner sets the tone why Aoshi wanted to best Kenshin eventually in the Shishio arc.

Speaking of the Shishio arc, during the scene where Kenshin duels "Hannya" (this isn't actually made official if he was indeed Hannya, but the mask was insinuating so) inside one of Kanryuu's libraries in his estate seems like a nod towards the infamous duel in the aforementioned arc.

All in all, it was an OK movie. Kaoru's long-ass monologues bordered on annoying, but that's how she rolls even during the series. I LOVED the fight scenes. When Kenshin first said "oro?", that was FUCKING PRICELESS. But the scene-stealer definitely has to be when Saitou assumed the Gatotsu stance.

If they came out with a DVD, I'm not sure if I'd get one or just wait for it to be uploaded in the torrents. I do love the soundtrack though.

After the movie, we decided to walk around. This is only my third time going to the Mall of Asia, and it's so damn big I seriously recommend wearing flip-flops or your comfiest ballet flats (oh, and please don't forget to wear foot socks). Anyway, we decided to go on the MoA Eye which is our attempt at the London Eye, only much smaller.

To be honest, it was my first time to get on a Ferris Wheel. And I didn't think I'd have a very light panic attack when we reached the highest point. Anyhow, since it was night time, here are some views that we were able to take pictures of since our gondola's windows were foggy. Nope, the boyfriend and I didn't make out HAHA. We'd try to go again just in time to catch the infamous Manila Bay sunset.

Manila Bay is the dark right side of the picture and that's Roxas Boulevard. 





A VIP gondola costs Php250/head and they give you a pair of paper binoculars and you get to have your picture taken. Thinking of saving my pair until the next trip since they weren't used the first time.