Sunday, June 16, 2013

Lemon Water How Do I Love Thee, Let Me Count The Ways (plus other random stuff)

WHY HELLO THERE!

Yes, all caps.

I haven't posted for quite some time because it's that time of the year once again. Yep, it's time for my frequent asthma attacks. So I guess I'd have to kiss my perfect attendance incentive goodbye for this cutoff.

If you are an asthmatic or know someone who is, you'd know that it's no joking matter. I've had asthma since birth (it runs in my Mom's family, actually skipped her generation and manifested on me and my cousins), what usually triggers my attacks are the following:

  • Dust
  • Sudden change of weather (ahem, hot and cold?)
  • Stress/intense emotions
Here's what usually happens when you have a bout of asthma. You have a hard time breathing since your air passages tighten and you cough. A lot. There would also be times when there would be that prickly feeling in your throat. Of course there's medication, but the best way to get rid of all the coughing is usually drinking a lot of water. And boy, did I drink this A LOT.

Since I started working in the call center industry in 2010, I'd been adding lemon slices in the tumbler I bring to work. It adds a kick to my water and unknowingly it increases my intake. Lately, I'd been adding mint leaves since my Dad has a mint plant in our garden as well.


And what's great about this is that it does not cost much. You can get lemons for as low as Php20 in groceries.
 
*Picture not mine

7 comments:

Rose June 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM  

Ohhhh... my dad is asthmatic and yes, he has been coughing a lot lately probably due to the change in season. Hello, ang init ba naman nung summer tapos biglang umuulan na ngayon. Thanks for the tip... we'll try that one of these and see if he'll like it.

Samantha Justine Zamora June 16, 2013 at 5:43 PM  

I think this is good even for those who doesn't have asthma. It's good for cleansing as well. :P

www.officiallygirlyfied.blogspot.com
www.citybehindthefog.blogspot.com

blackshirt13 June 18, 2013 at 11:07 AM  

Thankfully, asthma does not run in our family. But I agree that adding those lemons to your water tumbler is pretty helpful. In fact, I have read somewhere that homemade vitamin is more beneficial than commercially sold ones. :)

Angeline Mae Salumbides June 18, 2013 at 12:40 PM  

I have asthma as well. I'm definitely trying this. I'm going to put a bit of honey to add a little bit of sweetness. :)

Kristine Omaan June 20, 2013 at 9:39 PM  

I have asthma too so Im gonna try this! Love your blog.:)

Madellaine Santiago June 23, 2013 at 6:36 PM  

Sorry to hear that you've been having asthma attacks lately. I'm lucky to not have it but I will try drinking lemon water as well, I seriously drink less than I should, so maybe adding lemon to my water tumbler at work will help a lot. Thanks for the tip!

emeralddagger July 8, 2013 at 5:28 PM  

dear! not sure if you still live around pasig but mom gets lemons at the big market for P10 a piece! check out the stalls there i think some vendors carry limes as well.