Monday, October 7, 2013

Sad sad news

Our 6th Grade Selves: At St Scholastica's Academy of Marikina's iconic rubber tree
(Denise is the spunky girl at the left showing off her fierce Guess socks)
Last week, I lost a very dear friend who knew me before Jiro, before my anime and Japanese culture fascination, before my pathetic attempts at creative writing. She knew me at the time that I was still trying to establish my identity. 

She is Denise MiƱoza (the girl on the leftmost part of the picture). This was taken when we were in 6th grade. The girl next to her is Pinky Cruz and the fat one in red was et moi in my butchesa days and that’s Charisse Alvarez next to me. 

The location on this picture is at St Scholastica’s Academy Marikina. If you’re wondering why Charisse and I were not in uniform, this was taken after class. On a Friday afternoon if I’m not mistaken since we had a mandatory overnight activity at school. 

I feel so sad because I had always ALWAYS  admired her from the get go. She was one of the brightest girls in our batch. I’ve always admired the way she expresses her opinions and her taste in music. You see, she was a huge Side A fan and thought that the bands I liked were too "jologs" HAHAHA! 

Sometimes on Saturdays after one of those mandatory school activities, or on those Saturdays that our periodical exams would fall under - I would drop by her house. We’d hang out in her room or prowl Sta Lucia (hey, Megamall was too far for us back then). Growing up in a time when cellphones were clunky and were only available to executives, pagers/beepers were all the rage. 

We spent many lunch hours paging radio stations like RX93.1 and Magic 89.9. There would also be times when we'd even try to get through the hotline so we can send shoutouts to our Scholastican classmates. I can't help but smile because even if it was so jologs, we had a blast. And for the record, we spoke English over the phone. Oh and by the way, every time I would update my directory, it's her home phone number that gets listed first.

The last time we spoke over the phone was during my freshman year in college. I asked where she was going and she said “Miriam, school of putas.” with a laugh.

I found out that she eventually went on to become a DJ at 96.3. I vaguely recall listening to that station on my way to work when I was still employed at Transcom and chalked it up to coincidence that the girl who calls herself Denise on-air and sounded like her as well. 

Mid-September 2013, I rediscovered her on Facebook through one of our other batchmates whose on my friends list. 

She passed away on the first week of October. One of our batchmates sent me a PM about it whilst I was at work. 

I’m still trying to come to terms about what happened. I feel like my heart has been wrenched out of my chest. 

You will be missed, Denise. For what it’s worth, I owe you a lot. Thank you for the friendship. This is not goodbye. I have faith that someday, we will see each other again. We have a lot to catch up on. 

1 comments:

Super Bratinella October 8, 2013 at 4:53 AM  

She died due to leptospirosis and sepsis as what I've heard! I think she is a good person her co dj was too sad that day she was gone.

She will be missed in the radio and all her fans she touched the life through her music.